Oh noooooo!

Ugh. I hate it when this happens! I've fallen in love with a quilt that's supposed to be a gift!

Fortunately, it's a crib-sizer for my soon-to-be nephew. I can't steal a quilt from a baby! I guess it wouldn't do me much good anyways, being so small. But I really do love how it's turning out!


I've never considered myself to be great at matching prints. I've tried to quilt with all prints before and it just doesn't turn out how I thought it would. This quilt is different... somehow I managed to choose nine fabrics that look so pretty together, it's like they were meant to be!


But it didn't happen that easily. I think I pulled out 20 bolts of fabric at JoAnn's and put them back about 12 times before I finally settled. And even then, I didn't quite settle completely.  I had picked out a variety of 10 or so prints in the color scheme I was shooting for. Of course, the colors all looked a little different in the store than they did at home, so I removed a couple I thought I was going to use and added in another I was planning to use for a frog applique... which is now not going happen.


I change my mind a lot. I also don't always think things through 100%. That's where the back of the quilt comes in... I had originally thought it would be super-duper easy to just cut a chunk out of the backing and sew in the leftover striped piece from the front... but I didn't think about seam allowances. Oops! I didn't have enough fabric to do the original plan, but I added in some grey and a lime green stripe to make up for the lack of width, and I actually LOVE IT! Still a tad short of a basic 45x60 crib quilt, but it's close enough.


Once again, I can't decide if I like the front or the back more.

This was my first attempt at quilting since bringing home our new monster, Quark. Our sweet Scooter (the black kitty) passed away in December and left a little hole in our hearts that could only be filled with fuzzy feet and whiskers. We adopted Quark, a Lynx Point Siamese mix, through a rescue organization online called the Specialty Purebred Cat Rescue. He's adorable, but he's also a pain in the butt. Ha ha... I think I had to pick him up and remove him from the room no less than 40 times while I was trying to sandwich the quilt! But I finally got it done and ready to top stitch. And I've saved that for another day.


The invites for the shower arrived yesterday too! Wahoo! They look great, as always (thanks, overnightprints.com!), and I'm excited to get all the parts ready to go so we can have an assembly party. Maybe at little Jackson's 2nd birthday party... I can't believe he's going to be two already! It seems like yesterday I was making his 1st birthday invites... there seems to be a recurring theme here...


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart