Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Here it is!








I tried something new with this quilt, and I'm not sure I was 100% successful.

The binding was unusual for me. I normally do the whole 2.5" strip, hand-sewn binding thing, but I wanted to try using the backing as the binding this time to keep it simple. I LOVE this backing fabric; it's so soft, and it tied in so nicely with the color scheme of the Kaffe Fassett "Tides" jelly roll. I have noticed though, that this particular fabric shows a lot of poke holes, so be careful with pin placement and try to get your seams right the first time around.

I worked really hard to turn my edges under nicely and pin well, at least every 2 inches. Unfortunately, as I kind of  suspected, some of the loose ends bulged out in between the pins as my presser foot went over them. Now that I've washed the quilt, I can see that I need to do some seam ripping to fix a lot of little peeks of batting and frayed edged. Sad face. I also noticed that my walking foot has pulled some runs in the fabric!! Double sad face!


And after a 1.2 second Google search, I know where I went wrong with this binding technique. According to Cluck, Cluck, Sew, I should have stopped my top stitching right at the edges of the fabric and trimmed the batting away before attempting to roll the binding over. And to be fair, I did consider that, but I didn't know how it would look to have the stitching just stop at the edge. I also thought the extra bulk in the binding would be kind of neat and tactile.

Oh well! Live and learn! I ended up ripping all the binding seams out and re-doing it, using a half inch of overlap this time, and pressing the fold first. Next time I'll know to leave the batting out.

Comments