Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Here it is!








I tried something new with this quilt, and I'm not sure I was 100% successful.

The binding was unusual for me. I normally do the whole 2.5" strip, hand-sewn binding thing, but I wanted to try using the backing as the binding this time to keep it simple. I LOVE this backing fabric; it's so soft, and it tied in so nicely with the color scheme of the Kaffe Fassett "Tides" jelly roll. I have noticed though, that this particular fabric shows a lot of poke holes, so be careful with pin placement and try to get your seams right the first time around.

I worked really hard to turn my edges under nicely and pin well, at least every 2 inches. Unfortunately, as I kind of  suspected, some of the loose ends bulged out in between the pins as my presser foot went over them. Now that I've washed the quilt, I can see that I need to do some seam ripping to fix a lot of little peeks of batting and frayed edged. Sad face. I also noticed that my walking foot has pulled some runs in the fabric!! Double sad face!


And after a 1.2 second Google search, I know where I went wrong with this binding technique. According to Cluck, Cluck, Sew, I should have stopped my top stitching right at the edges of the fabric and trimmed the batting away before attempting to roll the binding over. And to be fair, I did consider that, but I didn't know how it would look to have the stitching just stop at the edge. I also thought the extra bulk in the binding would be kind of neat and tactile.

Oh well! Live and learn! I ended up ripping all the binding seams out and re-doing it, using a half inch of overlap this time, and pressing the fold first. Next time I'll know to leave the batting out.

Comments

  1. What is the pattern name? Just curious if it is a Kaffe Fassett design or his fabric with another pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KayU! Sorry for the super delayed response! This is a pattern by Fat Quarter Shop called Jelly Roll Jam.

      Delete
    2. Did you use whole jelly roll for this project?

      Delete
    3. Not quite; I think I removed a few strips I didn't like as much, and then some of the scraps went into the tote bag.

      Delete
    4. You can read more about the process in my earlier post about this project. :) https://whitnifficwhatnots.blogspot.com/2017/06/jelly-roll-fun.html

      Delete
  2. I love the colors and fabrics used in this quilt! Did you use a specific Kaffe Fassett jelly roll? Or select your own combination of fabrics?

    Janet L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! Sorry for the very delayed response! This was the "tides" jelly roll... I don't believe this particular one is still in production (although you may have luck finding one somewhere), but the current "cool colorway" and "Neptune" jelly rolls would probably have similar results!

      Delete
  3. Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt is a vibrant, patterned quilt with bold colors and a classic feel. With this quilt, you can create a beautiful piece that can be used in any room in your home. custom clothes manufacturer

    ReplyDelete
  4. A jelly roll quilt is an easy and quick project that can be made in no time at all. A jelly roll quilt is made by laying out strips of fabric and then sewing them together to create a patchwork of colors and textures. Jelly roll quilts can be made from a single fabric, or from many different fabrics, depending on the pattern and desired look. video delivery network

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved the color and I am really impressed, you did a great job, There's a company have great book writing services, must try

    ReplyDelete
  6. A jelly roll quilt is indeed a wonderful project for those looking for a simple and speedy quilting endeavor. This type of quilt involves laying out strips of fabric and then seamlessly sewing them together to form a beautiful patchwork of varying colors and textures. Whether you opt for a single fabric or a mix of different fabrics, the choice is yours, depending on the pattern and style you wish to achieve. The versatility of jelly roll quilts makes them a popular choice for both beginner and experienced quilters looking to create something lovely in a short amount of time. For individuals interested in promoting their quilting projects or other creative endeavors, collaborating with a professional digital marketing company can effectively showcase their work and reach a wider audience.




    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked really hard to turn my edges under nicely and pin well, at least every 2 inches. Unfortunately, as I kind of suspected, some of the loose ends bulged out in between the pins as my presser foot went over them. Now that I've washed the quilt, I can see that I need to do some seam ripping to fix a lot of little peeks of batting and frayed edges. Additionally, I also noticed that my walking foot has pulled some runs in the fabric!! Double sad face! On the bright side, if you find yourself struggling to balance your passion for quilting with other commitments, there are services available, such as pay someone to take my exam , that could help alleviate some of the pressure and give you more time to focus on perfecting your craft.




    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have a pattern for the tote bag?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart