The Five Minute Wreath- Halloween

Oh, Martha Stewart... or I guess Martha's Minions who craft for her magazine... you always come up with stuff that is so simply obvious, but clearly not obvious enough for me to invent on my own... and then leave me kicking myself for not thinking of it first!


Take this cool black Halloween door decoration featuring slithering snakes on a grapevine wreath, for example. I'm actually kind of surprised there's a tutorial for this, it's so simple!

Anyways... I loved it, so I decided to make my own. I ordered a bunch of rubber snakes on Amazon.com: a 12-pack of 36" snakes and a baggie of little 6" buggers. The grapevine wreath was from Michael's. And this is all I needed...


So, basically, all I did was weave the snakes in and out of the grapevines, starting with the big ones. They were more coiled than I expected, so they fought with me a little while I was trying to stretch them out, but they keep their shape nicely once they were adjusted. I gravitated towards the black and green snakes I guess, and ended up using four of them. Then I added the little guys, intertwining them with the big ones and making them all slithery-like.




Now, the original plan was to take the whole thing out back and give it a coat of matte black spray paint like the original Martha wreath, but once I took a good look I actually really liked the green snakes. Perhaps if I get a chance I'll remove the snakes (they're not glued in or anything), and paint the grapevine black, then put the snakes back in. Maybe. If I feel like it.


And that's my 5-minute crafty tutorial for October. :) Simple, easy-peasy.

The fun part is that I have plenty of snakes left over! I could make two more wreaths... perhaps I'll try a painted one next. Or maybe there's some other fun crafty thing to make with rubber snakes?...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart