Wire Bird Nest Jewelry

I saw these cute wire bird nests on Pinterest... so simple! I decided to try it out, and after several attempts, I churned out a necklace and earring set for a friend. They are so quick to make, I probably could have made dozens!


At first, I was trying to use natural pearls. However, the holes are so tiny that I needed 24 gauge wire to thread through them, and it didn't hold its shape well enough to create the nest. I also tried mixing two gauges of wire together to tie in the natural pearls, but it just didn't look right.


I ended up buying some turquoise glass pearls from Hobby Lobby that have bigger holes, and the nests turned out great! I also added a sterling silver bird to the necklace. I bought them from my favorite beading supply website: firemountaingems.com.


I was messing around with a bit bigger copper wire and some volcanic beads too... not sure what kind of bird laid these eggs! Maybe a dinosaur...


Here is the original post I read to figure out how to make these: http://shabbysoul.blogspot.com/2011/03/wire-bird-nest-tutorial.html. Mine are different from hers in several ways, and I kind of like the more stylized look mine end up having... almost like an abstract version.

Anyways... all you need is a few simple materials to make these cute, easy and quick accessories, and they make great gifts!



An adorable and hilarious co-worker saw this post over the weekend, and she immediately texted me and asked if I could bring the supplies to work on Monday so we could make some little nests over lunch. I used a soft, reddish copper to make a ring- I love it! Here's a quick phone shot of my chubby hand... :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart