Brew Gifting Continued...

It's been a while since I've made an update on the progress of the homebrewing stuff I'm working on. That's probably because I haven't made a ton of progress. Ha ha.

About a week after I dropped of the old wood desk at my Grandpa's house, he decided that it was probably best if I kept it elsewhere since he hasn't been feeling the best. "Elsewhere" ended up being in my backyard, covered with a tarp to hide it from Homebrew Hubby. And then it snowed a bunch. Joy!

Fortunately, Neil had a rare burst of ambition (no doubt inspired by my slightly dramatic meltdown about not being able to give any gifts this year at all) and cleaned out one of the little rooms in our basement for me to work on "secret" projects in. So that's where that sits for the time being. I did get the pieces cut to add the shelves and patch up the sides, although I did forget to trim the top piece to length... darn. I'll just have to bring it to work with me.


I have a coworker playing around with the grain mill table; he had the motor hooked up and running before I left on vacation last week, and we successfully ground up some rice I grabbed at the local grocery store (it was the closest analog to brewing grain they had). He planned to finish it up the next day, so it's probably ready to bring home now...

I started out the grain mill project with a $12 Craigslist special side table.


I chose this table because it has that rectangular cutout in it. The cutout was meant to hold a piece of glass, but I found a great food-safe bin online that (hopefully) fits perfectly in the opening. I ended up buying the same bin at a restaurant supply store here in town for only slightly more than I would have paid for the item online plus shipping. Shop local! Now I want a giant mixer...


Anyways- back to the project. I then used a hole saw to cut a hole to mount the grain mill to, and eventually run the drive chain through.


The table itself is in pretty rough shape; it was clearly a kid's craft table or something, judging by the amount of glitter, crayon and soda can rings staining it everywhere. But that's all fine and dandy- I sanded it down and plan to paint it with dark enamel anyways.


I'm also finally finishing some wine carriers and 6-pack totes that I designed and made last year for Christmas... obviously they didn't get done last time, so I'm recycling!




If all goes well, I'll be adding a bunch of nice 24-pack bottle crates to our collection too. Currently, Neil is storing all his clean bottles on a rack in our dining room, in a bunch of random beer boxes. If I have to have bottles on display, I'd prefer them to all be in nice wood crates.

Picture coming soon!

I designed this crate to be made of furring strips; each crate only costs about $1.75 to make, which is WAY better than the $40 some people sell them for!! Leave me a comment if you want a tutorial... beer stuff seems to be a popular topic these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart