Naptime at Tiffany's

One of my New Year's Resolutions this year is to finish at least 12 quilts in 2018. It's a tad bit ambitious, but I really want to work at improving my quilting and maybe even design a few patterns to sell. I also hope to use my new longarm skills on several of them!

I finished my first quilt of the year this past weekend. It's the one that I had been working on with my friend Daniel for his niece... and I finally got it all quilted and bound. It's so cute!


I'm calling it "Naptime at Tiffany's", since it was inspired by Audrey Hepburn (Daniel's niece's namesake).


I love the little glitz of gold "confetti" splashed throughout the piecing, and the gold binding makes me think of a classy gold frame.



Originally, the plan was to assemble the quilt with all the squares in the same direction, with the gold slices making a vertical line down one side. Once I played around with it a bit though, I thought the big diagonal stripes looked fresh and modern and offset some of the more traditional fabrics in the little patchy squares really nicely.



I quilted this little quilt on my Husqvarna Topaz with a walking foot- it was small enough to be manageable without too much trouble. I like how using the piecing as a guide emphasizes certain areas of the quilt; the large white diagonals were stitched in the ditch between triangles, and the little squares each got a crisscross through them, making a grid-like pattern with lots of texture. The gold stripe got several quilted lines through it, each about a half-inch apart. You can really see the quilting detail on the solid pink backing.


And now the quilt has been handed off to Uncle Daniel, just in time for little Audrey's first birthday! I really hope she loves it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart