Hipster Hound's Travel Kit

OK... so originally, I was going to call this the Pucci Gucci, but now that it's done that name doesn't fit. It looks more like it belongs to a cool hipster boy dog from Portland. At least I think so.


If you've been following the progress of my Repurpose for a Reason project, you'd recall that I picked up this old suitcase from the ReStore for a buck fifty, along with a couple rolls of upholstery fabric for a grand total of $16.50. I didn't technically buy them though, because I agreed to "flip" this stuff to raise money at an auction for Habitat for Humanity.


And here's the finished product!


The old vinyl (NOT leather, as I think I stated in an earlier post) was shined up and cleaned with car interior detailer and a microfiber cloth, giving it a nice shine while preserving the character that has accumulated over the suitcase's life. I made a wrap for the handle out of the patterned vinyl and secured it with gold snaps. I also added vinyl details to the corners of the case.


The old zipper was lubed up with a little bit of bar soap... a handy trick for any sticky zipper!


Open up the case to reveal one cool pooch's home away from home! 



I really had fun making all the elements of the travel kit; from the memory foam mattress and the hanging pocket system to the matching leash, collar and poo bag wallet.


The hanging pocket flap is probably the niftiest thing I came up with for this project. I knew the kit needed storage space, but I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to hang it. I put some thought into it and realized that I could use those little snappy straps to my advantage!


I bought some snap-together curtain panel grommets (in antique gold to match the rest of the metal on the suitcase) and they fit perfectly over the little button snaps that were already in place. They worked great in the double layer of vinyl fabric I used as a base for the pocket panel.


I constructed the pockets to hold a good amount of stuff. The front three are gusseted on the bottom, so I was even able to fit a big water bottle in there!



I think my favorite accessory is the little poo bag wallet. I've made these before, but I had just made a big button hole in some cotton fabric for the dispenser instead of using a pretty grommet in cute printed vinyl... this is way better! The little roll of baggies slides into the wallet through the overlapped opening in the back, kind of like a pillow sham.



The leash and collar are pretty standard, but also pretty darn awesome. I mean... they MATCH the whole shebang!


Of course, I can't leave you without pictures of the ever-adorable Howie. He loves this thing (I feel kind of bad that I have to turn it over to the ReStore this week), and he was such a good model for me!





Gosh, he's cute. It almost seems like this project was inspired by him...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart