Repurpose for a Reason: in progress...

I had better get on this Pucci Gucci dog bed! I had Ragnar relays two weekends in a row at the end of September, so I've been a bit MIA. Any time I've actually spent at home was dedicated to attempting to catch up on housework.

BUT... November is creeping ever closer, and this project is definitely one of those "have to get it done" ones. The event is taking place on Nov. 9, and I'd like to have this completed well ahead of time.

If you recall from my previous post, I got pretty much everything I needed- aside from thread, zippers and little embellishments- from the ReStore. I also needed to find some fluffy stuff to fill the cushion. I'm really trying to do this as greenly and economically as possible, so I considered finding an old couch on the side of the road and stealing the cushions, but that just seemed kind of gross.

Then I got the idea to reach out to our local Verlo Mattress Factory about potentially getting some scraps from their manufacturing process. The owner was more than happy to give me a giant box of fluffy foam- in fact, he said he is hoping this is an ongoing arrangement since they have so much to recycle! We'll see how well this thing goes over at the auction... if there seems to be a high demand for posh hipster dog beds, I may consider it!

That's a big box.

Holy crap! Contents under pressure!

I really want the cover of the cushion to be washable, so I'll need to make an inner bag to hold the foam chunks in addition to the zippered, removable outer cover. I decided to cut up one of those waterproof mattress protector things that we've had lying around for years for the inner cushion.

It's like a weird, waterproof velvet fitted sheet. It was way too hot for me to sleep on.

Cutting it up.

Finished inner bag! Sort of... 

In hindsight, I probably should have opened the box of foam up before sewing my cushion bag. I guess I was expecting little foam chunks, but there were actually full sheets all folded up and stuffed in there! I took a nice big piece of squishy blue memory foam and cut it into rectangles to fit inside the suitcase. The little end hole I had left open in my inner bag was too small to shove the rectangles through, so I ended up ripping out a seam along the short end.


Howie approved.

Kind of reminds me of the Princess and the Pea.

I originally had a stack of eight rectangles of foam stuffed into the suitcase, but my husband thought maybe it would be cozier to make a little "nest" with walls, so I removed two of them, sinking the bed surface down into the suitcase a bit. I admit, Howie looks much comfier with the two layers removed... it's kind of a perfect fit! I'll alter the bag a bit to fit the foam better and close it up, and then on to the outer cover!

Just a tad awkward...

Ahh, that's better!

I could chill here all night...

I suppose I need to find another suitcase now, since someone is really digging this...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart