Cotton Cuts Mystery Puzzle 2.0

I said I wasn't going to do it again... but here I am, five months later, halfway done with another Cotton Cuts mystery puzzle quilt!


And I'm seriously considering joining the next one too...

Debating between Can Can, HipHop and Hustle for the Fall Mystery...

They really need to stop (but not really) with these amazing colorways! I think that's what's got me hooked. I don't particularly love the traditional look of the finished quilts, but these fabrics...!

Portofino or Berlin? I went Portofino.

I'm actually really loving the look of this quilt so far. I think I may be acquiring an appreciation for classic quilt designs after all. Of course, I'll almost always choose a more modern design if I can, but there is something to be said about the cozy nature of a traditional quilt.

There are a couple neat changes to the mystery packages this go-around. First off, the month one kits included actual fabric swatches on a cute little card to help distinguish between the fabrics. What a great idea!


We've also been receiving the Cotton Cuts Coloring Challenge cards in the hot pink baggies, which is apparently some sort of contest on Instagram. I haven't participated since the first month, when I colored the Economy Block card and ended up actually making the quilt.


Colored pencil doesn't work very well on the glossy card stock, although I'm sure markers would do the trick. I also just noticed that the cards are available for download on the website! It says here that photos must be posted by the 15th of the month, and the winner gets two yards of fabric. Fun!

Anyways, back to the quilt at hand...

The Portofino colorway features the Diving Board collection by Alison Glass. I had no idea when I chose this colorway that it would be so perfect for me! It features all sorts of sea creatures and MERMAIDS! I love the ocean and marine creatures. And of course, these are all of my favorite colors.




I have already thought ahead and purchased my backing for this quilt, which I ordered from Fabric.com. It's the 108" wide version of the blue and green print, although it seems to have a few less colors of ink within the pattern, and is quite a bit larger in scale.



I can't wait to see how this one comes together!

FUN TIDBITS:

Cotton Cuts offers one-pound scrap sacks of fabric cutoffs after each mystery quilt is finished. You may recall my paper-piecing adventure from last time I ordered some! I ordered two more sacks from the Fall 2017 mystery (that I didn't join), and received a bunch of scrappy goodness in the Zinnia and Aster colorways.

These images don't do the fabrics justice!

I haven't popped open the Aster bag yet, but keep an eye out for a post introducing a fun technique for using up itty-bitty scraps! I challenged myself to create something out of as much of the bag of Zinnia scraps as possible... and it's turning out really fun!

Comments

  1. Cute, fun, and pretty modern looking with the wonderfully bright fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart