Oh, Baby! Snap-Back Bandanna Bibs

This is a continuation of a previous post- Oh, Baby! 

TO RECAP: my husband's best friend and his wife didn't waste any time in becoming parents-to-be after their wedding last May! The baby shower was a few weekends ago, and I whipped up some little gifts to tide me over until my mystery quilt-along quilt for the baby is finished. 

Snap-Back Bandanna Bibs

The bibs are just as simple as the burp cloths, except they have snaps to keep them on.

Because I had about 18" of fabric leftover from the two flannel prints (and plenty of the others), I originally decided to roll with that to size the bibs. That was a silly choice; the first one I made turned out MUCH to large for a newborn! I clearly don't have a lot of baby experience. #clueless #butmydogismybaby

My 38-pound baby now has a cute new bandanna!

I folded my flannel pieces diagonally to get perfect squares (fun little trick!) and trimmed them to 18x18", then cut them along the diagonal. I did notice that this kind of messes up the directional quality of the two critter prints, but oh well. I then cut each 18" triangle into two smaller ones, essentially yielding four bandannas from each 18" square piece.



I trimmed the points to about an inch width to provide a nice square tab to attach the snaps to, and I also decided to trim a little bit of a curve into the top edge of the bibs after making a couple samples. I feel that this gives the bib a bit more of a comfortable fit under the chin.

Trimming the "curve".

Attempts one through three (left to right).

I then paired each print up with a triangle of solid flannel, right sides together, and sewed around the outside edges and leaving a three inch gap. I then trimmed the bulk from the corners and turned it right sides out. Now that I think of it, this is really, really similar to how I made Howie's 5-minute Fourth of July bandana last year. They're practically the same thing... only smaller, as we've already established. :)


PRO TIP: I learned a handy tip for leaving openings to turn things from one of the ladies at the quilting group . She said that if you pivot 90 degrees and sew to the edge of your fabric when making the openings, they automatically close up like magic! Like so:


After doing a top stitch all the way around the triangle and closing up the hole, I added snaps on the skinny ends. I just got this snap pliers thingy at Hobby Lobby, and it works amazing! So much easier (and safer) than using the little anvils and a hammer. I smashed my thumb last time I put grommets in some curtains. Ouch!


I ended up with eight bibs for now; two of each print and one each of the solid colors. I suppose they're also relatively reversible.


Bandanna Bibs: CHECK!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart