More UFOs than Area 51...

 Yikes. This year has been a doozy, hasn't it? I can't believe it's October! I'm still processing March, I think? 

I've been pretty busy during COVID-19 social isolation, working on quilts, cross stitch projects, and a diamond painting project for my mom (amongst juggling four part-time jobs to pay the bills). My "to quilt" pile grows larger and larger by the week... and I noticed there were some quilts in the pile that I wrote about years ago (literally), that would be fun to share progress- or lack of- on.

Let's start with the oldest quilt in the bunch. Hmm... how about the honeycomb quilt I started in March of 2013 (OMG). Well, it's been "done" for a while, but every time I think about finishing it, I remember that I wanted to order black batting for it so little puffs of white fluff don't poke through when I quilt it. Black batting isn't impossible to find, but it's not really common either. I've tossed a roll in my Amazon cart about a dozen times over the years and just always end up talking myself out of spending the money on it. Ha ha. 

I really do love that the book I got this pattern from- Modern Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman- also includes patterns for pieced backsides. I think that's where I picked up the idea that backsides can be just as fun as quilt tops. 

And then there's the "Economy Block" quilt that I threw together in February of 2018 after coloring a Cotton Cuts Color Challenge card. This one came together quickly, but I have a vision for quilting it on the longarm and haven't really had a chance to do it. 

I guess I didn't actually mention the rest of these on the blog, but if you follow my Instagram @whitneyfroelich I may have posted a couple progress pics of some of these... 

There's an IG post about my Dogs in Sweaters quilt from June of 2018, so that's probably the next one I should mention. Another Elizabeth Hartman pattern! I think she may be my favorite quilt designer... 

This is the quilt I'm most anxious to get done. I have a big chunk of fuzzy orange and green plaid flannel for the backing, and I just want to snuggle up with this quilt and watch the leaves fall! Unfortunately, it's also the largest of my "to quilt" quilts, and it's a little intimidating. It's definitely another candidate for the longarm. 

Oh wait! I lied. Dogs in Sweaters is not my largest UFO... I have a queen-plus sized quilt that's partially quilted. It too is intimidating, and it's a friggin' workout getting that sucker through my sewing machine. But I already started quilting it in a particular fashion, so I can't really change my mind now. This one was supposed to be a birthday/ housewarming gift for my brother... six years ago. Whoops!

These last two quilt tops are both mystery quilts by designers I've done mystery quilt-alongs with in the past. 

I did the Cotton Cuts Fall 2019 Puzzle Mystery Quilt, Cosmos, in the "Team Catherine" colorway. I've done a quasi-review of the CC PMQ in the past, and sometimes I just can't help myself but to sign up again. I really like how this one turned out. I blame Cotton Cuts for my new obsession with Guicy Guice's fabric. :) 

Finally, I just finished up the Luna mystery quilt by Cora's Quilts. I scraped together random fabrics for this one from my stash, since the quilt-along began at the height of the quarantine/lockdown earlier this spring. I'm not 100% thrilled with how all of these glitzy, gaudy fabrics go together, but I think from afar it looks alright. Of course, Shelly Cavanna's patterns are always beautiful and intricate. The Moonlit Paths quilt I made for our friends' baby was the previous mystery quilt. 


My current works in progress include Angela Walters' Build-A-Quilt in the Handiwork colorway, as well as a card trick quilt and a whole bunch of other simple mini-quilts. I'm also working on developing my first pattern! It will be a super-duper easy buffalo check quilt for the beginner quilter, and eventually I would love to start teaching Quilting 101 classes through my new baby business, Citrine Creative Studio, LLC. :) Things to look forward to after this crazy pandemic! 

So- what do you think? Which of these should I finish up first? I find it a little funny that all the quilts I intend to keep (with exception of my brother's gift) are always the last ones to be done.

Comments


  1. Wow, amazing block structure! How long
    Have you written a blog before? Working on a blog seems easy.
    The overview of your website is pretty good, not to mention what it does.
    QuarkXPress Crack

    ReplyDelete
  2. As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, I don't have information about whitnifficwhatnots and it doesn't seem to be a widely recognized entity or topic. It's possible that it could be a new, niche, or specific term that has emerged after my last update. If whitnifficwhatnots is a specific entity or concept, I recommend providing more context or information so that I can better understand and create a response for you. Alternatively, if it's a fictional or creative term, you can offer some details about the theme or context you'd like me to incorporate, along with the door to door transport .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart