Makin' Honeycombs

I've been slowly working on the honeycomb quilt whenever I get a spare hour... which hasn't been very often lately! Here's a rundown of the progress I've made over the past two weeks.

Thirty 5.5" strips of fabric with 1" black sashing down each side. Went through a lot of thread... more than expected, although it makes sense now that I think about it. Each strip is the width of the fabric, 45", so each strip took at least 90" of bobbin thread. That adds up quick!


Each strip was cut into triangles, using a plastic template and a rotary cutter. 
 

All in all, I think I cut somewhere around 240 triangles. I pinned all these pieces up on the board to keep them organized! 


Then the fun part... sewing all the triangles together to make half hexagons... 


Next comes sewing all these half hexagons into strips, then into the quilt top! This should be a test of my piecing accuracy skills... which aren't quite up to par yet! I guess I did choose kind of a difficult block pattern for not being very experienced with quilting. We'll see how it turns out!

Comments