Progress!

Last weekend was pretty productive! Saturday was gloomy and cold, so I stayed inside and quilted (of course!). I got the Funky Jungle Chevron quilt top assembled and most of the back, although I didn't realize that broadcloth is only 42" wide instead of 45", so I had to figure out a way to make it slightly wider without looking like an accident. Broadcloth is not very broad... I don't know why they call it that. It also shrinks if you iron it too hot. It's unfortunate because it's so soft and comes in such pretty colors! It's just not that great to quilt with (in my experience). Here's the quilt top, in the process of being sandwiched and pinned for quilting!


Sunday was a much nicer day, and I spent most of it in the backyard working on my potting bench makeover. This old dresser was actually my husband's childhood dresser, and apparently it's been in his family for a long time. I found a stamp on the edge of one of the doors that says "56"- not sure if that's a date or just a production number. It was pretty gross when I started. It had been in a basement with lots of cats for a very long time (his mom has at least 5 cats at any given time), and it was water-damaged and COVERED in cat hair.



I took out the drawers (they'll be great for storing seeds and tools!) and removed the water-damaged backing wood, then sanded all the surfaces to remove surface stains. Of course, it's not going to be perfect, and that's okay. It's just going to be a potting bench, after all! Here's my supervisor inspecting my work. Or maybe it was the cat hair he was interested in.


I was able to get most of the first coat of paint on the main dresser before I had to go run the photo darkroom at my local university, of which I am an alum. Sitting in a darkroom while the sun is shining outside for the first time in months is the worst form of ironic torture, by the way! This isn't the greatest picture- it was getting dark by the time I got home and my phone doesn't do too great in low light.


I'm using a flat "easy clean" latex paint by Dutch Boy in... imagine this... lime green. Did you expect anything else? I figured the easy clean would come in handy since plants tend to make messes- or rather I make messes when tending to plants. I also got all new hardware for the drawers and doors, and the swinging doors will have hooks on the inside to hang hand tools.

I can't wait to get my seeds planted! The weather this week is making it seem like spring will never get here... it snowed last night! What's with that? Good thing I'll be starting my seeds in the basement with a grow light and heat pads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart