Pee Pee Tee Pee Pow Wow!

Ok, so my very first blog post included these goofy little things called Pee Pee Tee Pees. They're made especially for changing little boys' diapers... cover it up and prevent a mess! I witnessed a situation in which one of these would have come in handy this past weekend- somehow the fresh air must trigger an automatic response to go! It got me thinking about making some for my little nephew... as if I weren't making him enough stuff as it is!

Anyways, I decided to document the process and share it with you, just in case you wanted to give the funniest (and often most appreciated) gift at a baby shower! They're super simple... and you can make a whole bunch of them with scraps of fabric or fat quarters and a little chunk of flannel; I fit 16 on a half yard.

I ended up making 14 little cones total. I figured that if a baby goes through 8 to 10 wet diapers a day and not all of the changes require a cover cone, 14 should last mom and dad a couple days before having to do laundry. Not very scientific... I have no experience with wet diapers! 

Here's how to make them:

First, make a half circle template. I traced a plastic pasta dish to make mine, which was about 8" across. My template is slightly more than half the circle to accommodate the seam allowance.


Trace the template onto the fabric, then cut out the shapes. I find it's easiest to pin a double layer of cotton fabric to a double layer of flannel. This way, you cut two tee pees at once and the fabric is easier to cut because it's a little sturdier.


Place a print piece and a flannel piece right sides together, and sew around the curved edge. I used a 1/4" seam allowance throughout this project. I then snipped around the curve and turned them right side out. They look like little pita bread pockets!




I pressed the curved seams, then turned the open ends inward about 1/4" and ironed them flat.


Back at the sewing machine, I did a top stitch along the curved edge to give it a finished look, then matched the straight seams together with the print on the inside and sewed them up.




Pop the cone right side out and you have a finished pee pee tee pee... or wee wee wigwam... or whatever you want to call it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart