Sweet Safari, it's a boy!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my step-brother and sister-in-law's baby boy is coming in June, and we have begun the planning for the baby shower. Unfortunately, I missed the first meeting because I was traveling for work (they had pizza!), but I was recruited to make the invites... which is super exciting! I love making invitations...


I thought it would be awesome to do a Sweet Safari shower, since they want to do the baby's room in jungle theme, but mom-to-be wanted to keep the shower simple. I couldn't resist the giraffe though... too cute!

I designed the invites and sent them off to be printed as postcards... it's so much easier that way than printing them myself. But as soon as I got them in the mail, I added cute ribbons and buttons! I pre-made the ribbons over the weekend while I had free time, so all I had to do was peel and stick and they were ready to stuff into envelopes and go!


Waiting for the invites to arrive in the mail gave me time to get started on the baby's crib quilt!

I wandered around the fabric store for an hour on Friday afternoon, comparing colors and prints. I picked out a few shades of green and a beautiful batik that looked like bamboo, but I had no idea how much I needed so I didn't buy them. Bad idea! I went back the next day, after deciding what I wanted the quilt to look like, and the gorgeous batik was GONE! I was really bummed... but I found another leafy one that matched my color scheme, so I guess it wasn't the end of the world.



The cutting and sewing went really fast. In keeping with the green and yellow stripes theme, I just did simple strips of fabric in straight lines. I got the front and back done in no time flat, and I also got the binding prepared. The detail will come in with a big giraffe applique on top, along with some leaves.


I have the sandwich ready to quilt, and it's sitting on my sewing table waiting. I'm still trying to decided what motif to go with on the background. I'm thinking straight vertical lines on the whole thing, then a few groups of horizontal wavy ones, kind of like the illustration below. The giraffe applique will be quilted with giraffe spots, naturally.


Stay tuned to see how it turns out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaffe Fassett Jelly Roll Jam Quilt

Temperature Record Cross Stitch

Football Blanket Crochet Chart