Dyed clothespins... lots of them.

With this baby shower right around the corner, I've been ramping up production of all the little details I want to incorporate in my part of the decorating. I won't divulge all the details right now (I want it to be a surprise!), but I will say that it involves a LOT of colorful clothespins.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I somehow acquired a whole bunch of wood clothespins... well this takes care of 200 of them! Of course, painting that many clothespins would have been a ridiculous chore, so I decided to color them with fabric dye. So much faster!


I started by dividing my clothespins evenly into three gallon-sized plastic zipper bags, one for each color.


I then added urea (a chemical that helps the dye absorb into the fibers) and powdered fabric dye (I use Procion dye from Dharma Trading; I do a lot of tie dye in summer and had this on-hand) right into the bags, then filled them up with hot water. I sealed the bags, shook them up and let them sit for a few hours while I ran some errands.


When I returned, the clothespins appeared to have taken on a good amount of color from the dye. I rinsed them in a wire bowl, one color at a time, until the water ran clear.


I then hung them on the clothesline to dry. Good thing I got them hung out early! We got some more sloppy, wet snow in the afternoon. Yippee. Where is this so-called spring? I'm definitely in need of some sunshine action.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Blanket Crochet Chart

It's football season... already??

Long plane rides are good for something